Join us for a class that will help to take your watercolor painting to the next level! In this class we will go beyond the basics of watercolor and create an image together as a class. Participants will explore color and tonal compositions inspired by nature as seen in our environment, personal home collections, and the endlessly thought and emotion-provoking art of Georgia O’Keeffe. In a combination of technique demonstration and practice, this workshop is great for anyone looking to build skills in watercolor, already maintains a watercolor practice, enjoys basking in the beauty around them, and/or is looking for a freeing and fluid experience grounded in nature.
Supplies needed for this class:
- Watercolor paint set. All types are welcome!
- Watercolor paper. All types are welcome!
- A few varied watercolor brushes
- A sharpened pencil (HB or harder works well) A white gum eraser A few paper-towels A container with clean water Masking fluid for experimentation (not required) A point of reference will be provided as a photograph. If you wish, please feel free to bring your own photo, object, or living being to work from.
About the Instructor
Instructor Devon Burke returned to Santa Fe after years away in Worcester, Massachusetts. She earned an MFA from Boston University in Art Education with a concentration in Art Therapy practice in the art classroom, and a BFA in Art Education from the University of Massachusetts Amherst. Devon taught art for eight years in Massachusetts public schools, and has taught beginning, intermediate, and advanced courses in painting to adults. Her main media of study is watercolor, specifically small landscape and plein air painting. Devon enjoys the delicate nature and transparency of watercolor, and has a strong passion for sharing her love of it with others.
This class is suitable for youth ages 12 and up. Children are welcome to participate alongside their adults.
This program will take place via the video conferencing app – ZOOM. Details for accessing the Zoom meeting will be with your receipt upon registering and again sent via email the day prior. Please register in advance in order to access the program.
Note that all program times are in MST.
This class is being offered on a sliding scale.
- $10; minimal fee.
- $20; covers the cost of the class.
- $30; covers the cost of the class, plus a contribution to the Museum’s Education Programs.
Intro to Watercolor Techniques
Online Class: Introduction to Watercolor Landscapes
Online Class: Intermediate Watercolor Landscapes